Tuesday, February 16, 2010

warm soup for cold nights

I love to cook, and I love to cook soups when it is cold and snowy outside...which this winter has been a LOT!

One of my new favorites- that is also really really easy to make (bonus!) is Italian Wedding Soup...I had it for the first time a few Christmas's ago, when Brett and I were at his mom's house in Florida...and I've been hooked ever since! You can make this yummy soup in just about 30 minutes!














the recipe I use is based on Giada De Laurentiis' (yay food network) recipe
photo from http://recipetips.com

Ingredients:

Meatballs:
1 pound of ground meat (I usually use beef, but chicken, turkey or pork would work- whatever you use for your own meatballs)
1 egg
1 small onion, grated
*I use garlic salt to season, but her recipe calls for both garlic and salt
1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
breadcrumbs- I never actually measure, but I think I use about a cup...

Soup:
12 cups of chicken stock
1/2 box, thawed frozen spinach **the recipe calls for endive, which I never have on hand...I love frozen spinach, and always have that!
2 eggs
shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Combine the meatball ingredients in a bowl, mix and form meatballs. I make mine as small as possible, but you can make yours any size you desire :)

Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and spinach and simmer- about 8-10 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a bowl. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.

I love to serve the soup with some crusty bread, and of course a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top :)

No comments: