Tuesday, March 22, 2011

recipe box favorites: donuts!

I decided that I wanted to try and start branching out on my recipes, so I wasn't getting so bored at the meals I cooked day after day, week after week...B has started helping out, making his go-to dish, tacos, once a week, on the night I get home late from the gym...but besides that...I typically make 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches and 5 dinners a week (pizza is another big helper!)

so in the spirit of having more variety at breakfast time...I thought this coming weekend I'd try to make these donuts that came in my weekly Real Simple email :)

photo by Yunhee Kim

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 8-count package large refrigerated biscuits (such as Pillsbury Grands)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Heat ½ cup of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
  2. Place the biscuits on a cutting board. Using a 1-inch round cookie cutter or shot glass, cut a hole in the center of each biscuit, reserving the extra dough for "holes."
  3. Test the heat of the oil by dipping the edge of a doughnut in the pan. When the oil is hot enough, the edge will bubble. Place 4 of the doughnuts and holes in the skillet and cook until golden brown, 1 to 1½ minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack or paper towel–lined plate to drain. Add the remaining oil to the skillet, reheat, and cook the remaining doughnuts and holes.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Gently toss the warm doughnuts in the mixture a few at a time. Serve warm or at room temperature.
     This recipe makes 8 doughnuts, plus holes.

No comments: